The amazing Hollywood!!!
Colonel Harry Wilcox has established this town when he retired and wanted to spend his retiring years in a nice, calm place. He named his place by his friend's farm called Hollywood, although there is another legend saying his wife gave it the name of Hollywood about holly bush which were found here.
Hollywood joined to Los Angeles in 1910 because of channel system. Since then its dizzy carrier has been continuing as the citadell of motion picture industry. The "dream industries" of 1930's years like 20th Century Fox, Paramount and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer moved already to the cheaper San Fernando Valley. The center of scenery town is Hollywood Boulevard. In the Walk of Fame there are almost 2500 filmstars's hand-and footprints.
The sign is located on rough, steep terrain, and is encompassed by barriers to prevent unauthorized access. In 2000, the Los Angeles Police Department installed a security system featuring motion detection and closed-circuit cameras. Any movement in the marked restricted areas triggers an alarm that notifies the police.
The building and tower located just behind and to the right of the sign is the City of Los Angeles Central Communications Facility, which supports all cellphone, microwave and radio towers used by the Los Angeles Police Department, the Fire Department, the Los Angeles Unified School District and other municipal agencies. The building itself has no name and is essentially a large maintenance building for the antennas.
The sign was first erected in 1923 and originally read "HOLLYWOODLAND". Its purpose was to advertise the name of a new housing development in the hills above the Hollywood district of Chinatown. H.J. Whitley had already used a sign to advertise his development Whitley Heights, which was located between Highland Avenue and Vine Avenue. He suggested to his friend Harry Chandler, the owner of the Los Angeles Times newspaper, that the land syndicate in which he was involved make a similar sign to advertise their land. Real estate developers Woodruff and Shoults called their development "Hollywoodland" and advertised it as a "superb environment without excessive cost on the Hollywood side of the hills".
They contracted the Crescent Sign Company to erect thirteen letters on the hillside, each facing south. The sign company owner, Thomas Fisk Goff (1890–1984), designed the sign. Each letter of the sign was 30 feet (9.1 m) wide and 50 feet (15 m) high, and the whole sign was studded with some 4,000 light bulbs. The sign would flash in segments; "HOLLY," "WOOD," and "LAND" would light up individually, before lighting up entirely. Below the Hollywoodland sign was a searchlight to attract more attention. The poles that supported the sign were hauled to the site by mules. Cost of the project was $21,000 (about $300,000 in 2014 dollars).
The sign was officially dedicated in 1923 (the exact date is unknown). It was intended only to last a year and a half, but after the rise of the American cinema in Los Angeles during the Golden Age of Hollywood, the sign became an internationally recognized symbol, and was left there."
The first time that the Hollywood sign has been vandalized on January 1, 1976, the sign was also turned into “Hollyweed” and the same guy who did that changed it to say “Ollywood” years later.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopaedia
First, a Hungarian man from Mátészalka, Adolph Zukor founded the first film studio in the suburb of Los Angeles on an orange farm, called Famous Players in Famous Plays Company. Decades later, it was founded the Paramount film studio from this.